Saturday, December 11, 2010

Review: Canon T1i, Digital SLR

Wow, COOL!  My blog stats say that I have had two site visits from France!  To my French friends, bonjour et merci!  Vous etes tres chouette!  (And also, sorry, I took three years of French and that's all I have to show for it.)

I also have my very first follower.  HI GIRL!  Thanks for following and spread the word.  =)

On with the show.

I'm reviewing the Canon T1i, after only a couple weeks of use.  Disclaimer: I'm not a professional photographer, and don't have much serious experience aside from my Community College photography classes.  So, anything I say here will be based on my ameteur expertise.  If that makes any sense.


IN ACTION!   (low res for the web.)



After we had baby, my partner and I decided that we actually needed  an SLR to capture all those spur-of-the-moment occurrences.  We initially bought the Canon Rebel XS, which has since been discontinued, and were pretty happy with it.  Then, our freaking car got stolen (on the day before Thanksgiving, bunch of jerks) and with it went our trusty SLR and our point-and-shoot (which was a Canon Powershot).  Boo.

We knew we couldn't go without an SLR for too long, so we purchased this camera on Black Friday from Best Buy (with a little help from insurance.  Ain't insurance the best when you actually get to use it?).

The main difference between the T1i and the XS is that the XS didn't take video, which is why we had both the XS and a video-shooting point-and-shoot.  The T1i takes HD video at 1980 x 1080 (high enough quality to capture all of your most unflattering features.  yay!).

Here's the rundown.

Good stuff!
  • The ISO settings actually go up to 3200 (the XS only went up to 1600).  This will allow you to shoot in much darker environments
  • The HD video is awesome quality, and has a built-in stabilizer.  If you're like me and have shaky hands, this is freakin' fab.
  • Picture quality is amazing.  You get those real "SLR" shots you're hoping for, with very little effort.  Even in "Full Auto", you feel like you're taking pictures like a pro.
  • The LCD screen is fairly large (3.0 inches).
  • The body is slightly less plastic feeling than the XS.
Mehhhh.....
  • Not much to the viewfinder.  If you don't have clear vision, you'll be hard pressed to figure out if the picture you're taking is in focus, since there's no real indicator right in the viewfinder.
  • As far as I know, there isn't an option to change the time settings on the timer (ie. you can't change the timer to take a picture after 10 seconds rather than say, 5 seconds.  it has a standard time, and you better get your butt in that picture before it takes that shot).
Overall, since we're not professionals, we think this camera is perfect for us.  I'd recommend it to any other dSLR starters.

For reference, here's a picture we took at Disneyland!!
 Beautiful, right?!

------------------
Please feel free to leave any questions, comments, vulgarities, etc.  I welcome them all.  And if you follow me, I may send you an e-hug.

<3.
jen

4 comments:

  1. Damn it Jen! All SLRs have visual adjustments for their viewfinders. It's the like knob on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUH, JACKY BOY. What I'm saying is there's a lack of any sort of visual indicator inside the viewfinder that tells you your depth of field and that there's no real way of knowing whether what you're trying to focus on is actually within focus.

    I have concurrence from CNET:
    "And I'm beginning to hate the viewfinder. It offers the same 95 percent coverage as its competitors, but at a lower magnification than some, and it uses the same horribly annoying tiny focus points that don't actually tell you if it's in focus; locked or not, it simply blinks. I had to turn on the indicator beep. (Yes, there's a focus lock indicator in the viewfinder, but it's down on the bottom right where it's a bit of a strain on your peripheral vision.)"



    Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-eos-rebel-t1i/4505-6501_7-33567129.html#ixzz187NFR8pF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps. Heart you for reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PPS: Cnet suxxxxxxxsss, you need to use manuel focus and use your freakin' eye! Damn you CNet! Daaaaaammmmnnnnnn youu!

    ReplyDelete