Friday, December 10, 2010

Tag: 2010 Naughty and Nice List

My first beauty blog post!

Jen from frmheadtotoe.com (super love her!) just created a tag, where you basically list five 'naughty' things of 2010 (products you've obtained that you absolutely did not like), and five 'nice' things (products you could not live without!).  I thought that doing this post would be such a great way to start off this blog.  So, here goes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naughty, naughty, naughty (ie. DON'T BUY THESE.)
1) Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo
ARRRGGGGH!  Just seeing this picture makes me so annoyed.  As a fully employed mom of a toddler, I always keep an eye out for anything that will save me time and energy in the mornings, so I can focus more attention on the bay-bay.  When I saw this, I thought I was saved.  No more oily roots on the second day after a shampoo, and no more twenty-minute showers.

Then, I tried it.  SO VERY WRONG.  It just sat on my hair, almost like a really runny, leave-in conditioner.  It didn't dry, it didn't absorb the oils on my head, it wasn't an easy spray-and-brush application.  I watched several different YouTube videos on how to correctly use this product, and no method worked.  So very disappointed.  Shaking my finger at you, Tresemme!  I'll stick with baby powder for now.

2) Ponds Morning Refresh Makeup Remover Wipes

Say what you will about makeup remover wipes, but I am a HUGE fan of them, because it's the easiest and quickest way to get all the crap off of your face after a long day.  I typically use Pond's Makeup Remover Wipes in "Original Clean", but I stumbled upon these at Target and decided to spring for 'em.  I absolutely hated them, because the little exfoliating balls on them came off all over my face, and would stick to my skin like little magnetic leeches.  (And yes, I washed my face after, but still.)  Boo.  This is why I avoid change.

3)  Covergirl Outlast Lip Stain

I'm not sure what the color is called, but I got the one second to the left.  All I can say is that the color goes on un-evenly, maybe due to the texture of my skin, and I would have to use several coats to even it out, then set it with a moisturizing lip balm.  Though it does feel very light, I felt like the saturation of the color on my lips after all the coats kinda defeated the purpose of a lip 'stain'.


4)  These tweezers from Forever 21

Don't buy them unless the hairs you're tweezing are half a centimeter in diameter.  They don't freaking work.

5)   Skullcandy Earbuds

Maybe not beauty-related, but still worth a mention.  I bought these at Ross and was stoked, because they were pink.  The sound quality is horrible; really flat, no bass AT ALL, and get distorted easily.  Plus, mine basically fell apart after a week of use at my desk job.  I still wish I had gotten my money back for these.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NICE, NICE, NICE!
1) Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Cream
Yay!  I love this product, especially during Winter.  It's super moisturizing, doesn't have an obnoxious smell, and even though it goes on a bit greasy, my skin absorbs it really nicely, and I don't have to worry about any residue or oily hands.  Besides all that, it's a nice size for my purse, so I keep it with me all the time. 

2)  Garnier Fructis Surf Hair Wax, Matte Effect 
 
 My hair is pretty straight, but does have a bit of a wave to it.  It also gets frizzy if I don't blow dry it right after washing, and falls flat later in the day.  To prevent the frizz and make my hair stay where I want it, but without using hairspray (I don't particularly like the super immovable hair look), I take a bit of this stuff and run it through my hair, avoiding the roots, right after washing.  I also love that it's matte, so your hair doesn't look more greasy than it should.


3) Milani Eyebrow Pencil
 
My fave eyebrow pencil, even though it's only about $4 at your local CVS.  What I love about it is that it comes with a spool brush at the opposite end of the pencil, so when you're done filling in your eyebrows, you can just flip it over and brush.  (Time-saving seems to be my theme, no?)

4) EcoTools Brush Set

I'm all about Earth-friendly products (as is the majority of the Bay Area), so I felt these were a must.  Plus, they're super soft, come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, and from what I've seen, they're pretty durable.  I use the eyeliner brush almost everyday with my gel eyeliner (which follows).

5)  Maybelline Gel Eyeliner

Yay again!  I love this gel eyeliner!  It's very pigmented and has smooth application.  It even comes with that lil' brush, which I like, too, but I still prefer using my EcoTools brush.  This was such a great drugstore find!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OKAY.  That was certainly longer than I'd anticipated.  Hope this does some good for somebody, anyway!  Don't forget to subscribe, leave comments, ask questions.   I welcome them all.

<3.
Jen 

No comments:

Post a Comment